Monongalia County Seal

Frequently Asked Questions

When is the Courthouse open for business?

The Sheriff's Tax Office is open Mondays from 8:55 a.m. until 6:55 p.m. and Tuesday through Friday 8:55 a.m. until 4:55 p.m.   The County Clerk's Office, Circuit Clerk's Office and the Assessor' Office are open from 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and they stay open on Monday evenings until 7:00.  The County Commission and Prosecuting Attorney's Office are open from 9:00 to 5:00 Monday through Friday.  

What office do I contact for a birth certificate, death certificate or marriage license?

The Office of the County Clerk can provide this information.
Their main office number is (304) 291-7230.

Where can I file for divorce or custody of a minor child?

The Circuit Clerk’s Office will be able to assist.
Their main office number is (304) 291- 7240.

If there is a street or alley adjacent to my property that is not being used, what can I do to have it closed?

There is a procedure under the WV Code 7-1-3h that allows residents who wish to have a road “annulled” (closed). An attorney may draw up a petition to be presented to the County Commission for consideration. Upon receipt of the petition, the County Commission will set the date and time for a public hearing. If there are no objections to the closure, the attorney will prepare an order that is to be filed with the County Clerk. A copy of that order is forwarded to the Assessor’s Office that will identify the property on their maps. The roadway, whether it is shown on a plat map or not, will be divided between the property owners on either side and will be recorded as additions to their property.

What if I have a problem with potholes in my road?

The road may be owned by either a private party, a homeowner’s association, be designated on the WV Department of Highways maps or it may be considered “orphaned” that means no one is responsible for the maintenance or upkeep. The County Commission neither owns nor repairs any roads.

If I live outside of the city limits and my neighbors and I want to have our street paved, what can we do?

West Virginia Code 7-1-3a, allows for a petition to be presented to the County Commission that must have at least 60% of the front footage property owners agreeing to participate in the paving project. An engineer is engaged to prepare specifications, the project is bid, financing is arranged and each property owner is responsible for his or her share of the cost of the project.

Who do I contact about a traffic ticket or other violation of the law?

This depends on the agency that issued the citation. If a Morgantown City Police Officer issued a citation for a violation within the City of Morgantown, you must contact the City of Morgantown, Court Information Office at (304) 284-7498. If a State Police Officer or a County Deputy issued a citation for a violation through the unincorporated areas of Monongalia County you may contact Magistrate Court at (304) 291-7296.

What if I’ve received a parking ticket?

The Morgantown Parking Authority accepts payment for parking tickets in their office located at the corner of Walnut and Spruce Streets. You may also place the payment in the envelope found on your vehicle and place it in a payment drop box located throughout town.

Who do I contact if my dog is missing and may have been picked up by a Dog Warden?

You may call the Monongalia County Canine Adoption Center at (304) 291- 7267. Their hours of operation are Monday, Wednesday and Friday — 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday — 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. The facility is closed on Saturday and Sunday.

If I think the value of my property is too high, what can I do?

The County Commission is allowed to sit as a Board of Review and Equalization during the month of February. A schedule is published in the newspaper and you must make an appointment. At the hearing the property owner must present evidence as to why they feel the assessed value is too high. It is up to the Commissioners to make the decision to reduce, increase or leave the property at the stated value. Their decision can be appealed in Circuit Court within 30 days following the hearing.

What if there is a property in my neighborhood that appears to be unsafe, unsanitary and a danger to the general public?

You may report such properties to the Monongalia County Abandoned and Dilapidated Property Enforcement Agency through the Litter Control Officer at (304) 290-9886. The staff will visit the property and determine if it is a health or safety issue. Properties that are merely an eyesore do not qualify under the jurisdiction of the Enforcement Agency.